Friday, January 09, 2009

Coconut Water Doesn't Cramp My Style, Man

It seems lately that whenever I mention a specific product it is related to coconut! Today is the same. I noticed this past year that a few brands of coconut water were appearing in local market as well as the smaller market I visit near my house. So after recovering from a nasty flu before the holidays, I picked one up hoping that it lived up to its promise of being a natural rehydrant. Am I the only person who thinks Gatorade looks disgusting? Yuck! And Mountain Dew? What's up with that?? Anyways, here's the brand I tried:
I was so surprised at how well it worked. I was rehydrated in no time and now H. is trying it out because he has trouble remembering to drink enough water and gets dehydrated frequently.

I did a little googling and found that wow, this stuff is quite miraculous! It can be used intravenously (not that I tried but how cool is that?) in a pinch/emergency. What interested me most though was that it is often used to combat muscle cramps. I've always gotten horrible leg cramps since I was a little kid (like three years old honestly!) especially when the weather is cold or I wear shorts in the summer and my legs get chilled. And of course, the random cramp that might come up during yoga class. So I started trying out the coconut water for that too. I'm so impressed with the result (no cramps!) that I am hooked on the stuff. It also can help alleviate menstrual cramps as well as calm down your gut if you have colitis, chrohn's or other intestinal problems. This stuff is miraculous.

The news keeps getting better: it's fat-free too! I don't know if I'd drink it for the flavor. It's not bad at all but just really mild. You can also buy it mixed with various juices. I prefer to think of this as a supplement and get mine straight w/o juice. Woo hoo!! I'm cramp-free to do as I please.

Um...

Okay, sorry about that..I seem to be stuck in a "song lyrics of the 80s" revival today and not doing it well..he he he! It will pass. Maybe the coconut water will cure that too.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks for your seal of approval! I've been thinking about picking some of this up but didn't know if it was worth it. But it sounds like it is!

Anonymous said...

I just love coconut water! I wish it were easier to find where I live...super yum - and a great post-workout drink!

For the Love of Guava said...

neat! we just started this workout series (which is totally pushing their own brand of "recovery drink" but all those kind of wig me out too...) will have to try!