Monday, February 25, 2008

The Sunday Routine

Although I am very lucky that my office is just a 7 minute walk from my house and that I eat almost all my meals home, I still need to prep in advance if I want to eat well. So I'm bordering on being compulsively organized (I promise that I'm not wearing a matching twin set and pearls!) but hey, it works. 'Cause you know that throwing away veggies that went bad because you didn't get around to cutting them up for a meal is just, well, a rotten feeling..pun intended.

Maybe it's just me (but I don't think so) but sometimes when I'm in a rush just the idea of washing lettuce and putting it in my salad spinner is too much. Especially at lunchtime when you are supposed to be finding a moment of peace in the middle of a hectic day. I mean, maybe someday I'll see the zen in salad spinning, but it isn't happening for me right now!

So I decided that advanced prep for veggies is essential especially if I want to meet my salad a day quota. Recently I found these cute little non-pvc plastic containers at Whole Foods and they are perfect for the task.

Here's what I add:
Romaine lettuce, shredded into bite-size pieces
Carrots spiraled in my carrot machine
Scallions

When I serve the salad, I add in avocado and cherry tomatoes. I do not add these in advance because they don't do well pre-prepped (the avocados turn brown and the tomatoes will spoil more quickly in a sealed container).

2 comments:

Michalooney said...

Hi, this is michaloon from peertrainer. What a great idea! I think I will try to do this for my boyfriend and myself as I've been trying to figure out how to feed myself well at school without spending 6/day for cafeteria slop! Does the lettuce really keep until the end of the week in these containers?

Amanda said...

Hi Michalooney--yes it does but buying a right kind of lettuce and throughly drying it after washing is necessary. Green leaf is great as is romaine. Red leaf lettuce and mesclun greens go bad so easily so I'd avoid those. And I always put the lettuce in my salad spinner and spin the 'heck out of it, making sure it's fairly dry. The goal is to keep just enough moisture so the salad will stay fresh but not too much otherwise it will start to rot. Which is also why I don't add tomatoes and anything really "wet" until I serve the salad. But otherwise, yes, they have kept easily for a week.