Thursday, November 06, 2008

Who Let the Dogs Out? WE DID! Yay, Massachusetts!!
I spent Tuesday night tearing up on the couch in front of our television. What can I, mere little me, say that hasn't already been said? This is a historic time for the United States and my little heart is just bursting with love for my country right now. After eight years of thinking "why, why, why?" I feel the burning of optimism that I haven't felt in a very long time. I believe that Obama is Gen X and Y's JFK. Long time coming but so worth waiting for.Of course, my main attention was on the presidential race..Obama and Biden had my vote from the get-go so I am over the top happy that they won.

In my own backyard, specifically three blocks down from my house, an organization that I respect very much, Grey 2K, has almost put themselves out of business, happily and on purpose. Massachusetts voters rallied to vote to abolish greyhound racing in the state. This has been a long, hard-fought battle for several years. The main argument of the proponents of dog racing say that we'll lose jobs statewide. However, in discussion with a rep from Grey 2k at the recent veggie fest in Boston, she pointed out to me, rightly so, that this argument is moot. When a local department store chain, Bradlee's (oh, fond childhood memories of this store!), shut down a few years ago, we lost far more jobs yet there was no vote on it. Back at ya, dog-racers!To outsiders, we're known as the radically left-leaning "activist" state whose state legislators refused to put gay marriage on the ballot because you shouldn't put civil rights to a vote (I heart and vote for you my state legislators). We're also know as the state of the Masshole driver (aggressive, reckless, rude) and I admit that it's well deserved. While I am not proud of the later, I am thrilled to live in a state that now recognizes the rights of people AND animals alike. This state election went to the dogs! Yay!

No comments: