Monday, October 06, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 6: Carrot Apple Kale Juice vs. Green Smoothies. The juice won.

Everyone seems to be on the green smoothie bandwagon. I know they are really nutritious and people seem to enjoy them once they get past the initial "ew, you put kale in that smoothie" reaction. Even so, I was not exactly rushing to try out green smoothies. They just sounded, well, disgusting. But I figured I should give it a try. Well, finally I did. It wasn't horrible but I have to admit that I'm not quite on the green smoothie bandwagon. I tried several combos but nothing compares to my Carrot Apple Kale juice. Ew, you might think too..how does that sound any different from a green smoothie? It doesn't I admit but somehow making the greens into a juice makes for a smoother taste. I've tried making several vegetable/fruit juice combos this year but keep coming back to this old favorite:

  1. 2 medium sized apple, any sweet kind
  2. 3-4 medium sized carrots
  3. 2 large leaves of kale
I have a Juiceman Jr. juicer..which I hate, but any juicer will do. I mean, this juicer can make good juice out of this recipe, if your juicer is better, the juice can only taste even better. I actually destroyed my old Juiceman during a juicing frenzy two years ago (really, my apples ripped up the inside and it mangled the plastic) so I'm using my sister's while she's between apartments. In the meantime, I'm saving for an Acme Juicer which will require considerably less cleaning than the piece of pulp I now call a juicer!


The juice separates into interesting layers but I stir it up before I drink it. This drink 2-3 times a week, makes my face so soft and gives my immune system a real boost. It's a green miracle that just happens to taste good which to me is the real miracle!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah kale tastes a lot better as a drink.

- T

www.MostEmailedNews.com

Bex said...

I don't have a juicer yet so I haven't made any juices on my own but I found that green smoothies work best with a citrus component, that cuts the "green" taste down a lot and flavors blend better.

Amanda said...

thanks Bex--good to know!

Bethany said...

I like smoothies a lot better than juice because I like the pulp. but once in a while I will get a green juice. I bought this one last week and it was good: carrot, celery, beet, spinach, parsley. I'm sure you could sub kale for spinach. I think the key was the beet because they are really sweet.