Wednesday, October 01, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 1: Simple Fruit Desserts/Treats/Snacks

Well, here we are! First post of Vegan More Food Month of Blogging. Thought I'd start by sharing two of my favorite fruit treats. Excuse the photography..the kiwi banana picture is from my old crapola Sony camera.

Kiwi Banana Pudding
Two summers ago, my husband, sister and I stayed at Chez Philippe in Montreal. It was my first time staying in an all vegan bed and breakfast and let me tell you, it won't be the last. What a treat. Admittedly, although the trip was great, breakfast was the highlight of each day. We'd wake up, go downstairs for breakfast and Philippe would serve us the most incredible, homemade bread made out of some coconut creation. We'd have vegan waffles with decadent sauces, fluffy pancakes blew away non-vegan ones, and of course, a fruit entree at every meal. Sadly, Chez Philippe is now closed..I am not sure why but I can say that I will probably never have a breakfast as good as Philippe's. One simple dish lives on in my kitchen to remind me of that trip: kiwi banana pudding. It's so easy and simple that it's almost ridiculous how good it tastes. Take one yellow, perfectly ripe banana..can't be even the slightest bit green or you'll get that starchy pasty taste of unripe bananas.but it shouldn't be too ripe or it may taste too sweet...and peel it. Put it in your mixer/food processor/food blender of choice. Peel a kiwi and slice into slices or large bits. Add the kiwi to the mixer/foodprocessor (oh you get the idea!). Puree them together. Serve immediately..there you go. Banana kiwi pudding! Try sprinkling it with a little toasted coconut. Yum!

Choco-Raspberry Blitz Smoothie
I don't know if this is really a unique recipe here but what the hey..I never saw it anywhere and just whipped it up one summer day only to have it become a favorite. Take 1 cup of your fav non-dairy chocolate milk (mine used to be Vitasoy's chocolate but now I'm an Almond Breeze girl) put in your blender or immersion blender w/metal cuppy thingy that I have (most useful kitchen tool I own!). Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of frozen raspberries. 1/2 cup will give you a slurpy consistency..1 cup will be very thick and frosty (think melty sorbet) which is the way I prefer my smoothies. If you're using unsweetened non-dairy milk, try adding a drizzle of agave syrup..just a little is all you need. Pureed until completely blended..about 30 seconds. Pour into a nice tall glass and put a dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder on top. Indulge! A nice variation to try is to use frozen cherries (depitted of course!) for a choco-cherry experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the name of your blog!

Bex said...

you're right, it's a simple idea but if you hadn't mentioned it I might not have thought of banana kiwi blender pudding. Thanks!

Bethany said...

banana kiwi pudding sounds really good. and it's a natural sugarfest, vs. adding sugar.

smoothies with chocolate soy (etc) milk are really simple with good results. i like date sugar, chocolate silk, and banana. McFosters in Omaha makes it, but easy to do at home.