Monday, October 20, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 19: I Like Breakfast: Ginger Pear Oatmeal

This was my breakfast today..Ginger Pear Oatmeal and that Rooibos tea latte with almond milk that I had been looking forward. What's a good way to get me out of bed on a workday? The promise of a yummy breakfast does the trick almost every time. Otherwise my fishies start splashing so loudly that I know they want their breakfast! Here they are all excited about the idea of breakfast. They don't get oatmeal but they do love cooked brown rice. Funny little guys..anyone who thinks fish are boring, hasn't met these guys. I have about 45 goldfish..all born here in my apartment. Their parents and grandparents were store bought but not these guys..and because they've only had natural foods their whole lives instead of those nasty goldfish flakes and pellets, they are living way long than their parents.


Oh, I digress. Back to oatmeal. I've always liked oatmeal. Quaker packets of instant oatmeal (I liked the apple spice and maple sugar ones the best) were an important part of my childhood. Thankfully my taste has improved to now prefer to make my own instead of ripping open a packet and adding water. Hubby isn't so much an oatmeal person..when we go out for brunch to Johnny D.'s in Davis Square, he always lets me have his with the plumped up raisins and melty brown sugar since he doesn't like raisins. Yum! And of course, that means that any oatmeal raisin cookies that cross the threshold of this apartment are all mine. Sometimes love works better that way you know, when you don't like the the same kind of cookies ;)

So for the past 2-3 years, I've been making oatmeal fairly regularly. I've tried sorts of variations for cooking it including crock pot oatmeal (pretty good but makes too much for one person to have it fresh) to trying it in my rice cooker (oh, bad, bad idea! Oozey mess). I've tried Irish and Scottish..they're all good.

Recently I tried a variation of my usual apple cinnamon oatmeal. May I introduce: Ginger Pear Oatmeal? A little spicy but sweet. I love it! I follow a more raw oatmeal approach and do not cook it on the stove but instead use rolled oats topped with boiling water. The result is a bit more whole "oatey" but chewy, good, and full of fiber. You can cook yours on the stove if you prefer a more smooth texture.



1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. shredded ginger root
1/2 cup boiling water
1 chopped green pear

Mix the rolled oats, cinnamon, and ginger together in your serving bowl. Pour the hot water on top. Wait about 5 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. Add your pear and mix. Enjoy!

And here is my long-awaited rooibos tea latte w/almond milk. Sprinkled with cinnamon. Just the thing for a cold morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That oatmeal sounds delicious! And speaking of cool mugs...I love yours!