Sunday, October 19, 2008

VeganMoFo Day 15..Adventures in Vegan Ravioli!

I am really behind with my VeganMoFo posts. I have been cooking but neither posted nor photographed..so in an effort to make up for it, I'll do several short posts over the next few days!

The air is getting really crisp here in Boston. We may even have our first frost tonight. So my thoughts always turn to ravioli this time of year. Specifically, squash or pumpkin ravioli with a sage cream sauce. Okay, that's what I ate when I was vegetarian. We'd go out to a nice restaurant and that was always what I'd get. Except totally NOT vegan between the eggs, the cheese and the milk products. So I have for the past three falls since giving up all that (or liberating myself from it really), missed my ravioli. I tried the SoyBoy vegan ravioli. Not bad..but not exactly what I was looking for.


Today I decided to make my own ravioli out of the delicata squash we keep getting from our farm share. I created a tasty little combo of the squash, walnuts, nutritional yeast and spices. So all ready to go with my neat little pasta machine and ravioli hand press..except, whoops, I'm all out of pasta flour. So I went to the market and strangely enough they didn't have any either. Weird. So the homemade ravioli will have to wait until I can get myself to the little Italian shop around the corner on Monday.


In the meantime, I scored big at the market! I had just become aware of Rising Moon Organic's vegan ravioli and was eager to try it but not sure where to buy it. I had assumed that my market wouldn't carry it. I was blissfully wrong. Not only do they have it but they had several vegan flavors with the wonderful "V" symbol so you can be sure. I went a little crazy and got them all. Is it just me or is it getting a little bit easier to be vegan nowadays? Yay!

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

Good find!
I'd LOVE to make my own Ravioli.

I've always thought it's just too much hassle, but I reckon it would be SO worth the effort. A project for me to do on a lazy Saturday!